PDH Academy is a provider of online education for Michigan residential builders and maintenance and alteration contractors. Our Sponsor Number is 557.
Getting your Michigan Builders License is as easy as 1-2-3!
This online course is designed to be a complete 60-hour Pre-Licensure course for Residential Builders and Residential Maintenance & Alterations Contractors in the state of Michigan.
This course includes all 60 of the required hours for Michigan builders! It covers Business Management, Estimating and Job Costing, Design and Building Science, Contracts, Liability and Risk Management, Marketing and Sales, Project Management and Scheduling, Current Michigan Residential Code, Construction Safety Standards, and Subject Matter Electives. With a combination of reading based and video courses, this course is easy to complete at your own pace and on your own time!
Included in this course:
- Business Management, Estimating and Job Costing
- MI Administration Codes
- MI Occupational Code: Article 24
- Business Management – Video Course!
- Employment Law
- Estimating and Job Costing – Video Course!
- Design and Building Science
- Current Construction Methods and Materials
- Foundation Construction, Insulation, Defects, and Repairs
- Masonry Construction
- Contracts, Liability and Risk Management – Video Course!
- Marketing and Sales
- Supercharged Marketing Part 1 – Video Course!
- Supercharged Marketing Part 2 – Video Course!
- Truth in Advertising
- Project Management and Scheduling
- Job Site Housekeeping
- Project Management through Client Management
- Construction Planning
- Current Michigan Residential Code
- Construction Safety Standards
- Michigan Construction Safety Standards
- Construction Safety Part 1: Hand and Power Tool Safety
- Construction Safety Part 2: Lead Safety Best Practices
- Construction Site Safety Practices
- Additional Elective: Simplifying the ADA
- Knowledge checks and tests throughout to track your learning!
- A 100 question Final Exam to help you prepare for your Builders exam
Benefits of this Course:
- Satisfies the Michigan LARA requirements
- Practice for your state licensing exam
- 100% online, so you can work at your own pace
- Certificate of Completion for you to include with your application
In order to get a Residential Builder or Residential Maintenance and Alteration Contractor License, there are a few steps that you will need to complete:
- Note: You must be 18 years of age or older to get licensed
- Complete our approved 60-hour course and you will receive a certificate of completion
- Apply for licensure with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
- Download the application HERE
- You will need to include a copy of your driver’s license or state ID
- You will also need to include a copy of your certificate of completion
- There is a $195 fee to apply
- NOTE: All licensure requirements, including the passing of the exam(s), must be completed within one year from the date your license application was received by the Department.
- Get an “authorization to test” letter from the state of Michigan (this will come once your application is approved, it takes about 6-8 weeks)
- Contact PSI to register for your exam
We do not offer any classroom courses for MI contractors. We find that most students prefer to complete their education online on their computer, smartphone, or tablet.
Yes, all graduates of our Michigan contractor courses will receive certificates of completion. This certificate has been approved and includes all the required information for the state of Michigan. You will be able to immediately download your certificate once you complete a course.
Yes, our courses are mobile compatible. You can use your phone, tablet, or computer. (Note: It may be easier to read/see the material on a larger device).